Cégep à distance
Cégep à distance was created on April 1, 1991, by the Collège de Rosemont to fulfil a mandate entrusted to it by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES) to develop and offer college-level distance education in Quebec. Initially known as the CCFD (Centre collégial de formation à distance), Cégep à distance adopted its new moniker in 2002. In 2005, the ministry extended Cégep à distance’s mandate to include college-level courses for the English community.
In addition to admitting adult students, Cégep à distance cooperates with various colleges to help students advance their academic progress and earn a diploma more quickly. For more information, visit the page entitled Student already enrolled in another CEGEP.
Cégep à distance is an innovative, flexible, lively, and motivating study environment that promotes the development of the students’ fullest potential. It also actively contributes to the advancement of distance education in the college network.
Cégep à distance is devoted to distance education. We welcome a highly diverse student population, many of whom come to us from establishments in Québec’s college network. Cégep à distance contributes to the advancement of distance education in partnership with the college network.
Our strategic plan
Cégep à distance has developed a strategic plan for 2018-2023, which is summarized in this overview (in French).
Cégep à distance develops self-contained, self-paced asynchronous courses. Each student benefits from tailored support and supervision. Registration is available on a continuous-intake basis and the students have variable completion dates.
- Self-contained course: A self-contained course is one in which all the subject matter is contained in the distance course materials.
- Asynchronous approach: The asynchronous approach means that the student studies when and where it is convenient for them. The studies are therefore tailored to their needs.
- Tailored support and supervision: Our Educational Planning and Organization Sector team and our tutors offer professional services that are adapted to each student, from the moment that a request for admission is received until the granting of a diploma.
- Continuous intake and variable completion: Registration is available year-round and students can begin their courses as soon as they receive their materials. They can finish the course at their own pace within the period specified by the Cégep à distance rules and regulations, without being registered in a specific cohort.
To respond to the emerging needs of our students, Cégep à distance is experimenting with new ways of offering courses, both for our students and in support of the Québec college network.
To learn more:
Students register at Cégep à distance to…
- Take general education courses (common to all DCS/DECs) or complementary courses to complete a DCS/DEC
- Study prerequisite courses needed to enter university
- Earn a DCS/DEC or an ACS/AEC to enter the job market or make a career change
- Meet a timely training need in order to continue their academic progress while still registered at a conventional college
Discover all the courses that you can take as a Cégep à distance student.
Recognition of our expertise
The Cégep à distance team has been consistently recognized for the quality of their educational materials, for their distance education projects, and for the partnerships they have built.
This is why Cégep à distance has won dozens of awards and honorable mentions for projects and collaborations from entities such as the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE-RCIÉ), the Institut d’administration publique du Québec (IAPQ), the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF), the Réseau ACTION TI, the Boomerang Awards, and the Association professionnelle des professeurs et professeures d’administration au collégial (APPAC).
A few facts and figures
- 14,500+ students
- 150+ courses offered, a number of which are designed in English
- 26,000+ course registrations each year